Break the exclusions spiral
Having watched the Education Committee Inquiry on Knife Crime it was clear a primary cause of the crisis is ‘exclusions’ from school, which creates a spiral of self-destruction and lost potential, for the life of the young person. A powerful solution is to create an ethos of trust and mutual respect between school and home and repair the parent/child relationship early. https://parliamentlive.tv/event/index/f93ead82-eee8-4090-a879-2096ed3a9eb1
Some key research data:
- Excluded children cost the Government £2.1bn every year, while permanent exclusions have risen 40% in the last 3 years.
- Each day 35 children are told to leave their school permanently and each of these children goes on to cost around £370,000 over their life time, due to poorer outcomes.
- It is the most vulnerable children who are likely to be excluded. They are 4 times more likely to be from the poorest families 3 times more likely to be interacting with social services and ten times more likely to have a mental health problem.
- Only 1% of excluded children get the five GCSEs needed to access post-16 training and apprenticeships.
- The majority of the prison population is made up of children excluded when at school.
There are 3 immediate actions required
- Identify those students that are likely to be excluded and provide an intensive personal development programme where students, parents and teachers work in unison.
- Change the culture in our Pupil Referral Units, Youth Offending Institutes and Secure Training Centres to one of an empowering community to transform young peoples lives and reduce reoffending.
- Overhaul the education system with immediate effect. Young people need to be empowered with personal development skills including a change of mind-set, life and social skills, motivated and inspired to take control of their life.
A way forward
Our society is suffering from a lack of self-responsibility. The only way young people are going to change is if they choose to become self-responsible and take control of their lives. Since 2002 we’ve been engaging and empowering disadvantaged families to take responsibility for themselves in Children’s Centres and community settings in areas of deprivation. Our innovative, experiential and evidence based personal development programme (evaluated by Canterbury Christ Church University) shows participants they have all they need inside, it’s a powerful combination of:
- Tailored mindfulness to calm the mind and experience living in the moment.
- Personal life coaching to empower one to step out of their comfort zone, identify and achieve goals.
- Emotional literacy techniques to understand how thoughts, feelings, emotions and actions can be managed.
Our Unique Selling Point is a concept called the ‘energetic connection’, it’s similar to gut feeling and intuition but with more potential for a deeper connection. It’s based on the fact we are all made of energy, according to Socrates and quantum physicists. The better we feel about ourselves the more positive energy we are emitting and we have a stronger connection to those around us. Children are sensitive and have innate abilities and wisdom; they’re drawn to adults emitting positive energy and integrity.
The energetic connection is where participants connect to a deeper level of themselves and start to become aware of a wider view of the world. With practice they can expand their level of consciousness beyond themselves and have the capacity, desire and experience of making different life choices during the programme.
They realise they are in control of their thoughts, feelings and emotions – they are enough and feel inspired to change their life! Programmes are experiential and in the last session participants create their own sustainability strategy, which can be monitored and tracked. The most effective results are when the school works in unison with the parents and young person.
The Government and the Departments for Education have created the legacy and crisis we are facing today. Perhaps the wave of increasing knife crime and gang violence by young people is a cry for help, a way to reject the messed up society we’ve created for them. We must empower young people to take control of their lives NOW!
We have a suite of innovative programmes for young people, parents/carers and teachers, which can be delivered online and or in person.
We KNOW that everyone has huge untapped potential and we have found the KEY to unleash it! Help us in our quest; let’s apply this proven programme together.
Together WE WILL transform our society – from the inside out!
Our Learning Framework is a diagram showing the neurobiological potential connections, each participant intuitively takes what they need: http://developyourchild.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/sites/21/2017/08/DYC-l-f.pdf.
The energetic connection and our programmes have been evaluated by Canterbury Christ Church University over a 2-year period with disadvantaged families from a deprived area. https://developyourchild.co.uk/canterbury-christ-church-university-evaluation/
Our methodology: https://developyourchild.co.uk/methodologies/
Our vision: https://developyourchild.co.uk/about/our-vision/